Tuesday, May 10, 2011

The Wee Free Men

Author: Terry Pratchett

Reading level: Ages 9 to 14

Summary:

This interesting book talks about magic and spirit of the Discworld. Tiffany is a capable nine-year-old girl who takes care of her irritating brother, makes good cheese on her father's farm, and knows how to keep secrets. The evil Queen of faerie has taken her little brother and she needs magic to get him back. Having already decided to grow up to be a witch, now all Tiffany has to do is find her power. Tiffany, armed only with her courage, clear-sightedness, a manual of sheep diseases, and an iron frying pan, goes off to find him. But she quickly learns that it’s not all black cats and broomsticks. According to her witchy mentor Miss Tick, "Witches don’t use magic unless they really have to...We do other things. A witch pays attention to everything that’s going on...A witch uses her head...A witch always has a piece of string!"
Luckily, besides her trusty string, Tiffany’s also got the Nac Mac Feegles, or the Wee Free Men on her side.

Review:

I’m not a fan of Terry Pratchett and never was. The librarian at my local library recommended this book for me to read and I thought I would give it a try since this is totally a new subject to me. After all it earned the 2011 Margaret Edwards Award so it must be worth reading. This is my first time reading a novel about Discworld. It did take me sometimes to digest the characters and the magic they possess. As I dwell more deeply into the book, I start to enjoy it so much. I would recommend it to anyone no matter how old they are or their experience reading Discworld. You don’t read any prior knowledge about Discworld to be enjoying this book. I’ll definitely pick up more of Pratchett books and continue my journey into the Discworld.

Award: 2011 Margaret A. Edwards Award

No comments:

Post a Comment